Is the cold weather freezing out your motivation to exercise?
Does the mere thought of bundling up the kids and packing them in the car just to head to the gym seem painfully exhausting?
Would you be more likely to get your sweat on if you could do a quick workout at home with minimal equipment?
Today I’m dusting off my Kinesiology degree (GO STATE!) and Personal Training past to share a workout that packs a powerful and peppy punch!
Find your 20 minutes (Before the kids wake up? Nap time? A quick episode of Daniel Tiger? Heck, let them do it with you!) and check it out!
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 small towels (1 for the floor; 1 for the sweat-wiping)
- A mat or larger soft towel (nice but not necessary)
- A hard-wood floor or the like
- A timer (The kitchen’s microwave timer will do, but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the free app “Seconds” for this workout! *More details below!*)
- Music (optional, but strongly encouraged)
- Cheerleader (optional, but super cute)
- There are 8 different exercises
- Perform each exercise for 30 seconds, then move on to the next one immediately
- Rest for 1 minute after all 8 exercises have been completed
- Perform 8 exercises for a total of 4 times = 20 minutes! (You complete the last exercise at minute 19, so there’s a built in one minute cool down!)
- Place list of exercises on or near the floor so it’s easy to see and remember which comes next
- A timer (like the “Seconds” app) that beeps audibly every 30 seconds is ideal, so you can flow from one exercise to the next and you don’t have to keep looking up at the clock (*SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST FOR STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO SET THE TIMER FOR THIS WORKOUT*)
- This workout is for a Moderate fitness level
- See below for Novice and Advanced modifications
- Check out the corresponding videos for examples and tips on form (Please excuse the vocal and guest appearances! :))
*First, be sure to warm up! You do NOT want to execute this workout with cold muscles!
1.) Step-Back Lunges (Alternate legs)
3.) Wall Sit
4.) Abdominal Saw
6.) Straight-Arm Plank
7.) Squat Jumps
8.) Plank to Pike
9.) Rest/Hydrate- 1 Minute
10.) Repeat 3 More Times!
1.) STEP-BACK LUNGES (Slower Pace/ Jumping Switch Lunges)
2.) PUSH-UPS (Hands Elevated or On Knees/ Standard Push-Ups while focusing on form and speed)
3.) WALL SIT (Break if Necessary/Arms Overhead-With or without additional weight)
4.) ABDOMINAL SAW (Plank Hold/Place Weight on Back)
5.) BURPEES (Eliminate the Jump/Increase Speed or add a Push-Up at the bottom)
6.) STRAIGHT-ARM PLANK (Rest if Necessary/Add Weight to Back)
7.) SQUAT JUMPS (Body Weight Squats (No Jumping)/Increase Speed or Add Weight)
8.) PLANK TO PIKE (Abdominal Knee-Tuck/Focus on Form and Speed)
9.) REST/HYDRATE (Don’t Skip This/Don’t Skip This)
10.) REPEAT 3 MORE TIMES (Start With 2 or 3 Rounds/Add 1 or 2 Rounds)
There you have it! A great indoor workout and supplement to your weight lifting routine! Please take the time to cool down at the end with a nice stretch and/or foam rolling routine. As always, listen to your body, your doctor, educated fitness professional, and perform at your own risk. 🙂
*HOW TO SET THE “SECONDS APP” TIMER*
1.) Download and open free app
2.) Create New Timer
3.) Circuit Timer
4) Number of Sets-4
5.) Exercise 1- Duration- 30 seconds
6.) Add Exercises for a TOTAL of 8- all with a duration of 30 seconds
7.) Rest Between Sets- 1 minute
*You can customize other fun details, but this will get you the necessary timer to complete today’s workout. Good luck! 🙂